Friday, February 24, 2012

Eating Healthy is Not Popular or Cheap!

It's a good thing I only have 1 follower, because if there were more people who followed this blog, I would definitely have to update more than I do! Ha!

Anyway, I have had this revelation...did you know that eating healthy is not popular?

No, it's not.  Recently, we went on a short weekend trip.  We stopped at gas stations numerous times for pit stops and had to eat on the run just to get where we were going in a reasonable amount of time in several instances.

Every time we stopped and went into one of those gas stations, I was bombarded with donuts, candy, chips, cokes, the all-time favorite of chocolate, and every other bit of sugary goodness you can envision entering your mouth.  It was hard in some ways to walk to the nuts or trail mix section and try to find something that didn't contain an astronomical amount of calories and/or sugar.  There isn't a wide selection of fruit and whole-grain healthy snack option as gas stations... sigh!

Let me just tell you, that I was so proud of myself.  I did NOT give into the donuts!  Girlfriend, let me tell you, that was hard!  You see donuts are a food group on my food pyramid, or should I say, former food pyramid.  I won't lie, I did give in a eat several items that should be banned from my healthy eating while I was on this trip, but overall, I was reasonably disciplined.  Thanks be to God for His strength in this matter!

Eating healthy is not popular!

Here is my other revelation....Eating healthy is not cheap either.  Man, those candy barsin the gas stations cost like less than a dollar.  That trail mix or those nuts cost more than that.  Seems like we have it backwards in society.  Oh how I wish that that bag of donuts costs $10 and that a bag of apples cost $1.  Wouldn't THAT make healthy eating and living easier and cheaper!?  Sheesh!

Well, the bottom line is that no, healthy food will never cost less than the junk food in the grocery store, and it is hard to turn away from some of these foods I have considered to be my friends and have consumed for my whole life.  And yes, I still really crave something sweet almost every time I have a meal.  And you know, it's really hard to change your mentality about food after you have been eating one way for 30 years.  REALLY hard.  But, I figure I owe it to myself to try to do that.  I'm trying not to consider myself as deprived from certain foods, but that I am trying to make a healthy choice in the foods I do choose to eat.

One thing I really have been pondering on recently from Lysa's book is when she talks about how food is made for our benefit, but not our detriment.  Those aren't her exact words, but that's how I like to think of it.  Food is meant to help sustain my life and keep me going.  It's not meant to control my life, or even worse, have control over me.  Ouch!  Sugar sure has a way of doing that, doesn't it!?

So, I have a renewed commitment to myself and my healthy eating journey.  I am still trying to eat more healthy and exercise more.  I cannot stop!  Maybe if you are reading this you can relate to my struggles, and let me encourage you that if I can even attempt to make a change, I know that anyone else can do it hands down!  God as our helper we can and will become healthier women!!!



2 comments:

Katie said...

Yay! Glad you are still keeping at it. I have my strong days and my weak days!!

Brittany said...

Me too, Katie! Glad I am not alone! :)