Monday, September 17, 2012

Apples are my new favorite fruit

I looked in my fridge the other day and discovered I had accumulated about 20 apples.

Some of them came from the grocery store and some from Jaemor.

After talking with Ashley, we decided to make some apple butter.  Then, a very smart friend of mine, told me to save the peels to make apple jelly!  Who knew!?!?

Being very impatient as I am, I couldn't wait to do the apple butter (that has been put on hold until Ashley and I can get together), but mama suggested that I dehydrate the apples.  So, I did!

They turned out pretty good too!

Then, it was amazing.  I used a simple recipe online to make some apple jelly out of the peels and cores.  Yes, I used the cores!  It was amazing because there was really nothing wasted! 

I felt so good. Surely all of my organic and green-crazed friends would have been so proud. LOL

It's so cool to think about all of the things I've been able to do since I've been staying at home.

I've really gotten to practice with my sewing machine, do some serious crafting, and try all sorts of new recipes.  And we're talking it's real cooking - not just out of a box!

Most of this inspiration has not come from within though.  I credit my sister, my mother, pinterest, and other people that I talk to frequently with giving me the ideas. 

Anyway, sort of a boring blog post, but I was really excited about the apples yesterday.  Just had to share! :)

Have YOU been working on anything super cool!?  Leave me a comment and tell me about it! :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

You go girl!! I have just been working on yard sale stuff. We're having one this weekend with Mama's friend Jullie...at her house. I am actually way ahead compared to the point I'm usually at by now. Ha!!

I bought the book "Be the Mom." It came yesterday! I haven't started reading it yet but can't wait to! Thanks for sharing!

Brittany said...

Let me know what you think about the book! I just loved it. :)

Carmen said...

Not a boring blog post at all!! :) I wanted to go apple picking with my family this Fall, but apparently (because of the warmer weather arriving early this year), the apples have been picked already :( I wanted to pick my own apples and then come home and make an apple pie and various other goodies! How did you make your dehydrated apples? :)