Monday, January 23, 2012

Made to Crave Monday

It's time for me to post again about this journey I am on with eating issues and all that jazz!

Things have been going pretty well.  I have not been as active as I would like to be (the motivation to exercise is still very lacking!), but I have seen some results so that gives me motivation to keep on keepin' on.  Don't get me wrong, these are VERY MINOR changes, but hey it's still a little something!

I have been reading the Made to Crave book and devotional and getting a lot out of it. 

Here are some of the things I have read recently that have really stuck with me:

From the devotional, Lysa writes: "The best thing we can do in these triggered moments (she is speaking of triggers that make you feel the need to eat/divulge in something unhealthy) is to pause.  Pause and ask ourselves, 'Do I want to eat this right now because I need nourishment or because I'm feeling empty emotionally or spiritually?'" p. 31  And if we are truly hungry, then I can make a healthy choice!

This is so true.  I am still trying to discover WHY I want to eat unhealthy things at times or what 'triggers' me to do so, but the only thing I can come up with so far is that I do it out of habit.  I just get the taste of it in my mind and it just sounds so good and my body craves it, but it may not be because I am hungry.  It may just be because I like the feeling it gives me.  You know that eating sweets releases dopamine in your brain and your body says "oh man, that tastes so good - I want some more!" That's why we like sweets.  Then, 30 minutes later you feel like totally gross.  So, I need to do what Lysa suggests and just pause.  Maybe that would save me some calories and yuck-o feelings later! :)  Thanks to Dr. Travis from 'The Doctors' tv show for teaching me how my brain reacts to sugar!

Here's one more thing that I found really great in the book: "And while I fully realize my temple may not be God's grandest dwelling, I want to lift up to the Lord whatever willingness I have each day and dedicate my exercise as a gift to Him and a gift to myself." p. 94.  Somebody may think, "wow, giving God my exercise is a gift - that's far fetched," but hey, we need to be good stewards of this body He's given us so we can work for Him and serve Him better!

Anyway, this blog is for me.  I need it to hold myself accountable and to keep myself moving in the right direction.  I am ready to start making more healthy choices and to start taking better care of myself.  It is time.  And after all, I am a Jesus girl who is NOT defined by the number on my scale!  :)

BB

2 comments:

Katie said...

You GO girl! Wonderful as usual. Very inspiring. Isaac and I exercised yesterday for the first time in a LONG time. We danced to a fitness thing I found on Netflix. I was glad we did it and he sure had a ball. (I was also glad no one was watching. Ha!) I am trying to do better as well so your posts are very encouraging. I think I'll go eat a banana in your honor instead of a fudge round. :-)

Brittany said...

Katie - haha! It always makes me feel better when I get up and moving, but sometimes the motivation to do so is hard to find!!! :) This blog is helping me stick to my comittment to eating healthy.