Sunday, March 16, 2008

Peace in the Midst of the Storm

I just had to write on my blog what happened to me on Friday night. Ashley, Andy, Levi, and I were all together with our Sunday School class from church. We went to Atlanta to watch the Atlanta Passion Play. While we are watching the crucifixion scene, there was "lightning" in the clouds in the background on stage. Well, about that same time, we heard what we thought were cool sound effects or rain. We knew it was rain (or possibly hail) when we heard it again after the scene was over.

I looked at my cell phone just by chance and noticed moma had called 2 times. Then, she called Levi. Well, I went to call her to make sure everything was okay. She said we were under a tornado warning. I couldn't believe it since it wasn't even raining outside or did not appear to be bad weather just by looking out the door.

On the way home, we stopped at Krispy Kreme, indulged in a way too fattening donut, and then went home. When we got home, we turned on the news (at around 1 am!) only to find the news was STILL on. We saw the damage at the CNN Center, the Georgia Dome, and just all around downtown.

The Civic Center is only a couple of blocks (less than 1 mile) from the Dome, CNN Center, Centennial Part, etc. We were SOOO close to the tornado that actually hit. I could not believe how close we were. It was scary, but I was SOOO extremely thankful to God that He somehow saw fit for our group to be safe from the storm. It was like He had His hands shielding us from that tornado, and He sent the path on a particular course that would avoid us and where we were. I was reminded of how great God is and how wonderful it is that He's still in control.

We didn't deserve to not be hit by the tornado, but we literally were at peace sitting there in that auditorium while the storm was just over the way. We had no idea of the storm that God was steering away from us, keeping us safe. I wonder how many times everyday God keeps bad things from coming our way as His children just because He loves us, and we don't even know it, just like we had no idea a tornado was causing damage less than 1 mile away from us. We all take His protection and His power for granted! I know that I do!

Sorry for the verbiage, but I just had to share the fact of how thankful I am that God kept us safe and that He is just SOOO good to us EVERYDAY!!! ALL THE TIME!!!

No comments: